Concrete Examples of Luxury Homes
Concrete? Luxury? Really? Isn’t concrete usually the preserve of functional amenities such as public conveniences? Or brutalist architecture conveying the triumph of (un-beautiful) form over function?
Well, no, not any longer. Precast concrete is gaining ground as fantastic material for luxury home construction on many fronts, its capacity to create an almost unlimited range of beautiful visual effects, from molded geometry, to rich color, to textural or gleamingly polished!
The Pluses of Precast
Precast concrete is produced by casting concrete in a reusable mold or form. Unlike traditional concrete, which is poured on site, precast is made in a factory, transported to the construction site and lifted into place. When it comes to luxury home designs, just some of the boons of this ugly-duckling-turned-swan of materials include: –
- Strength + load bearing capacity: Pre-stressed precast concrete is VERY strong and can be used to create larger clear spans, reducing the need for structural supports.
- Durability: High-density precast concrete is durable to acid attack, corrosion and impact. It reduces surface dirt and resists the accumulation of dust.
- Efficient construction: Making building componentry in a factory prior to construction results in better pre-planning and quicker on-site construction or “assembly”.
- Aesthetics: Prefabrication in a controlled environment means imaginative combinations of colors and textures can be used.
There are obviously some important points to think carefully about for those contemplating using precast concrete in their luxury home designs.
- It’s typically heavy unless lighter forms are used.
- It offers a small margin for error.
- Economies of scale demand regularly shaped buildings.
- Joints between panels can be complicated and therefore costly.
- Cranes are required to lift panels.
Lighter weight forms of precast concrete, such as glass fibre reinforced concrete are being used in major projects, for example for facades that create eye-catching visuals. But it’s an idea that could easily be translated into most luxury home designs. Whether it’s an exterior feature wall, interior screening or an entire home that’s both textural and functional, precast concrete’s subtle beauty is undoubtedly worth a look.