The story of Shandy Hall goes something like this; it all started as a Wrightsville Sound land grant from King George II to Thomas Conner in 1737. Situated on a berm, a blanket of trees shields Shandy Hall’s views of Money Island, where Capt. William Kidd allegedly buried his treasure, according to local folklore.

The home was set ablaze in the mid-1800s, destroying some sections, and was later rebuilt. The first structure on the land was one of the oldest houses in the area and was a home for sailors during the Revolutionary War; and was used as a headquarters for Gen. Whiting and the government salt works during the Civil War.

Since then, the old home has had a dozen generations pass through its halls. Today, our clients have become the latest inhabitant of this home. There are many stories and events that this has been privy to, and the new chapter will be nothing short of an honorable one.

The original home’s architecture is an amalgamation of repairs, additions, and alterations over the last hundred years; unfortunately, none were done with warranted integrity and little originality. The time has come to restore the home in a practical, modern way that pays homage to the old structure and its living legacy.